Friday, October 28, 2011

Ugly serving tray redo and tutorial

Hi Nesters,

The weather's no longer scorching hot here (90's to low 100's most of the summer) so I've been able to get back out in my workshop. I purchased this sad (in my opinion) serving tray at the Salvation Army with the idea that it would never ever look like it's original form once I was finished with it. Aside from the aesthetics, it was in very good condition with no chipping, cracks, etc. Here's what I did to transform it:
  • Wiped it down with a damp cloth and let it air dry.
  • Gave it two coats of Rost-oleum Wet or Dry Sandable Primer in #1980 Gray Primer, drying between coats.
  • Sprayed two coats of Rust-oleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover in Satin Heirloom White, drying between coats.
  • Using 200 grit sandpaper, I roughed up the edges here and there to give it an aged feel.
  • Then with a damp rag, I applied (especially in the nooks and crannies) Minwax Water-Based Wood Stain in Colonial Pine
  •  I let it sit overnight to dry completely and then I put it on our family room table to display some of my favorite things.  The whole project took just a couple of hours and most of that was drying time.
I love how it turned out.  It really makes the objects look grounded on the table.  I have a few other thrift store trays of varying sizes in the works next.  I'm thinking about using one on my nightstand or dresser and maybe selling the other one in my Etsy shop (if I can bear to part with it).



**Shared this post at Dumpster Diva's Cute & Creative linky party!


Please come back and visit soon.

I hope you will consider following my blog!


Photobucket
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

NO STEALING ZONE. . .

NO STEALING ZONE. . .
I like to share, but please don't use my blog content (pictures, text, anything) without asking permission. Thank you!