Sunday, January 23, 2011

Wall art project part II (and a tutorial)

Hi Nesters,

Here's the second part of the wall art project I worked on last weekend. If you missed it, here's part I (Deconstructed Wall Art). I'm showing you the reveal first because I know you'll just scroll down to the bottom before you finish reading this post anyway. ;)

If you're interested in how I did this project, check out the rest of the post...I've given you a little tutorial.

Decoupaged initials and bird, egg and bird cage graphics adorn our family room wall (cause you know I love me some "bird" stuff)
Photobucket

"R" for Robyn (that's me)

Photobucket

"J" for Jason (my husband)

Photobucket

Vintage bird cage graphic

Photobucket

Vintage birds nesting graphic

Photobucket

Vintage bird eggs graphic

Photobucket

Before: A similar picture to the one you see here on the left was hanging on right side of the mirror. I don't have a before photo of them all together, but you get the idea.

Photobucket

After

Photobucket

Tutorial:

I started out with MDF (medium density fiberboard) letters that were painted white from the craft store. They had a hanging hole already drilled in the back but they didn't hang straight so I used 3M foam adhesive squares.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

  • I painted each letter (top and sides) with soft black acrylic craft paint
  • Then I affixed scrapbook paper to the top of each letter using Mod Podge (I did not top coat it yet)
  • I used sandpaper to remove the excess paper and give the edges a timeworn look
  • I added paper embellishments to each letter (words, pictures, scrabble tiles, etc.)
  • I covered the entire project with a coat of Mod Podge to seal it
  • For the graphic prints, I went to The Graphics Fairy and downloaded them (for FREE!) and printed them in the sizes I needed onto card stock. I then shopped my closets and found some frames I wasn't using. One of the smaller ones was antique gold so I gave it a quick coat of the soft black acrylic craft paint and then roughed up the edges to give it a vintage-y feel.
More photos of the painting process and adding the decorative paper using the letter "B" from my previous wall project as as example:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Again, the final result!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks for checking our my latest home project. If you enjoyed this post, please add yourself as a follower ("Nester").


Photobucket



I'm sharing this project at:



A Little Knick Knack
Follow my blog with bloglovin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

NO STEALING ZONE. . .

NO STEALING ZONE. . .
I like to share, but please don't use my blog content (pictures, text, anything) without asking permission. Thank you!