Friday, March 25, 2011

Thrift store wooden box makeover & tutorial

Hi Nesters!

I picked up this white washed wooden box (formerly from Target per the original label) from the Salvation Army Thrift Store for $1. 39.  I knew it had potential when I saw it so I grabbed it up.  I've had it sitting on my "to do" shelf in my workshop (aka garage) for a few weeks now waiting for inspiration to strike me.

While I was perusing The Graphics Fairy's FREE vintage graphics the other day, I came across a wonderful vintage French label and I instantly knew it would soon adorn my thrift store box.  Here's what I did:

  1. Lightly sanded the box inside and out and wipe clean.
  2. Using a foam brush, I painted/dabbed on espresso colored stain all over (including on the metal hardware) to give it a mottled appearance and let it dry before touching up some missed areas in the carving.
  3. I printed out a copy of the French label I found at The Graphic's Fairy on regular computer paper using the photo setting so I would get a good quality copy.
  4. I cut out the label and then burned the edges with a candle to give it an older feel.  Stinky and messy but oh so fun!
  5. I applied matte finish Mod Podge to the back of the label and affixed it to the lid of the box and let it dry.
  6. I then applied one coat of the matte finish Mod Podge over the entire top of the box (including the label) to seal and protect it. 
It now sits on top of our coffee table and holds the coasters I made over.


Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
***Click HERE to check out my other projects/transformations.

Sharing this project:

Making the World Cuter Monday at Making the World Cuter
Get Your Craft on Tuesday at
Today's Creative Blog
Tip Me Tuesday at
Tip Junkie
Anything Related Tuesday at
All Thingz Related
Tuesday Trash to Treasure at
Rural Grace
Tutorial Tuesday at
Hope Studios
Transformation Thursdays at
The Shabby Chic Cottage
Everything But the Kitchen Sink Thursday at
A Little Knick Knack
Frugal Friday at
The Shabby Nest
Show and Tell Friday at
My Romantic Home
It's a Hodgepodge Friday at
It's a Hodgepodge Life
Saturday is Crafty Day at
Along for the Ride


Brag Monday at The Graphics Fairy
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

NO STEALING ZONE. . .

NO STEALING ZONE. . .
I like to share, but please don't use my blog content (pictures, text, anything) without asking permission. Thank you!