Saturday, July 31, 2010

Salmon Patties with Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Bisuits (my version)

Hi everyone!

Here's yet another installment in my effort this week to try something new each night for dinner with recipes inspired by The Tiny Skillet.

I've never made salmon patties before but there have been a couple of recipes I've wanted to try. I combined elements from both recipes and added some ideas of my own to arrive at a brand new creation. I've been making my version of Red Lobster's Cheddar Bay Biscuits since 2004 so I stuck with what I like.

Salmon Patties

  • 1 14 1/2-oz can salmon
  • 1/4 fresh minced onion
  • 2 Tbs butter
  • 2/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
  • 3 cups egg beaters
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 2 tsps Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1 tsp dry mustard
  • 1/8 tsp pepper
  • Oil or butter for frying

Finely chop 1/4 cup of onion and saute in a saucepan containing 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat until tender.

Open up can of salmon and drain off the liquid. Dump it into a small bowl (I removed all the bones, but you don't have to--you can just mash them all up into the mix) and mash well with a fork.

In a medium mixing bowl combine breadcrumbs, eggbeaters, lemon juice, sugar, Worcestershire Sauce, dry mustard and pepper. Let sit a minute or two until breadcrumbs have soaked up most of the liquid. Add salmon and onions and combine well.

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Shape salmon mixture into 10 small patties and fry for approximately 3 minutes per side or until golden brown. I cook 4 or 5 patties at a time depending on their size. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels.

Makes 8 to 10 patties.

Photobucket


Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits (my version)

  • 2 1/2 cups Bisquick baking mix
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese -- shredded
  • 1/4 cup margarine or butter -- melted
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (divided in half)
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasonings


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine baking mix, milk, cheese and 1/8 tsp garlic powder until soft dough forms.

Drop dough by 1/4 cups full (I spray the inside of the measuring cup with non-stick spray for easy release of the dough) onto ungreased cookie sheet.

Combine the melted butter, 1/8 tsp garlic powder and Italian seasonings. Brush the mixture over the tops of each biscuit (save leftover butter mixture for serving).

Bake 14 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

Makes 8 large biscuits.

**************************************

Here's how this meal was received:

Jason really liked both the salmon patties and the biscuits.

Sierra didn't like the salmon patties but she ate one (I made her--mwahahaha I'm evil mommy). She thought the biscuits were just okay so she added honey. Um, honey on a garlic cheddar biscuit? Riiiight.

Cameron thought the salmon patties were okay and he ate one without complaining. He did the honey on the biscuit thing after seeing Sierra do it. You'd think my kids have never had a dinner roll without honey on it. Wait, maybe they haven't.

Okay, on to the rest of the review. I thought the salmon patties were okay but not great. It's not that they tasted bad or anything. I think I'm just not a salmon patty kind of girl. I always wanted to make them and now I have. I really need to think something is great in order for me to want to cook it again so the salmon patties will not be making an encore appearance at our house.

Of course, I looove the biscuits. I started making them in 2004 when I was pregnant with Cameron. I craved Red Lobster's fried catfish and cheddar bay biscuits throughout my pregnancy even though I'd only eaten at Red Lobster once in my life years before. The thought of them must have really stuck with me. Luckily, there is a Red Lobster near our house so I would just call ahead and take them "to go." When I would arrive, they'd see I was pregnant and ask if I'd like a couple of extra biscuits. Uh, yeah! It started getting a bit costly so I just started making the catfish and biscuits myself.

All in all, it was a good learning experience.

Robyn

P.S. Thank you again, Heather for the lovely family heirloom dishes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

NO STEALING ZONE. . .

NO STEALING ZONE. . .
I like to share, but please don't use my blog content (pictures, text, anything) without asking permission. Thank you!