- 1 cup unbleached all purpose white flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
Frosting (I never use exact measurements; I just eyeball it until the frosting is thick like peanut butter):
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
What to do:
- Place 1 1/2 cups flour and baking soda in a small bowl and mix together until blended.
- Place 1/2 cup butter and granulated sugar in large bowl and beat with electric mixer until blended. Add egg and almond extract and beat until blended. Add flour mixture and beat until well blended. Gather dough into a ball with your hands, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm (1 to 2 hours).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly flour a work surface. Unwrap dough, place on surface, and use a rolling pin to roll out to a thickness of approximately 1/4 inch. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters and place cookies about 1/2 inch apart on greased baking sheets. Bake for about 7 minutes, until cookies are golden brown. Cool cookies on a wire rack before frosting.
- Put frosting ingredients together in small bowl and mix with a wire whisk or fork. Spread frosting on cooled cookies.
- Makes approximately 18 cookies.