Monday, February 9, 2009

NYX, OPI, ULTA Makeup Haul

In search of some new fabulous (and inexpensive) lippies, I went to my local ULTA store today. First, let me say that I had never even heard of ULTA until my friend Phyrra (of the beauty blog Decorative Diva) told me about it. She posted about NYX Jumbo Lip Pencils in her blog and I had to have one for myself. She recommended that I try an ULTA store or Cherry Culture (an online makeup store that carries NYX and other brands at a very good price). To the best of my knowledge, we did not have an ULTA store in our town. However, I looked them up online and found that a store had just opened here this month (lucky me!).

To aid me in creating my NYX lippie wish list, I did a web search for NYX lipstick and lip gloss swatches/color descriptions (Cherry Culture’s swatches leave a lot to be desired and they don’t have any shade descriptions), I came across Nonpareil Boutique (another web site that carries NYX makeup at great prices). They had even more shades of lipstick and gloss on my wish list than Cherry Culture.

Okay, with that said…I love instant gratification so before I placed an online order, I had to check out my local ULTA store. They don’t carry any of the NYX lipsticks, but they did have plenty of lip glosses to choose from. They have a 90-day return policy so I purchased with the knowledge that if the colors didn’t work for me, I could return it for a full refund. I like that policy!

So even though I still have 14 lipsticks to order from Nonpareil Boutique, here is what I brought home with me today from ULTA:

  • 5 NYX Goddess of the Night (Mega Shine) Lip Glosses - $4.99 ea
  • 1 ULTA Extreme Wear All Day Lip Color - $4.00 (reg. $10)
  • 1 NYX Jumbo Lip Pencil - $3.99
  • 1 Max Factor 2000 Calorie Mascara (waterproof) - $5.49
  • 3 OPI Nail Lacquers – reg. $8.50 ea (buy 2 get 1 free offer going on)
  • 1 ULTA Salon Formula Nail Lacquer (my daughter wanted this one) $2.00 (reg. $5)

I forgot to mention that I joined the ULTA Club (no fee to join) and received 20% off with my first order. You also earn reward certificates towards free beauty products or salon services for every $50 you spend. My total with tax for this haul was only $62.01.

Descriptions:

NYX GODDESS OF THE NIGHT LIP GLOSS WITH MEGA SHINE (my own personal observation): The consistency is smooth and creamy. Not sticky at all. Very similar to CARGO lip gloss for a fraction of the price.

[click to enlarge photo]

  • French Kiss – Not too cool, not too warm. A perfect shimmering pink
  • Sweet Heart – Light shimmering pinky peach
  • Frosted Beige – Light shimmering warm beige
  • Iced Latte – Shimmering tawny nude
  • Natural – Lt/Med pinky nude beige with no shimmer but lots of shine

NYX JUMBO LIP PENCIL (my own personal observation): Thick and creamy. Not greasy. Stays where you put it.

  • Pink Nude – Very light frosty nude pink

ULTA EXTREME WEAR ALL DAY LIP COLOR (my own personal observation): I only tried it on and have not worn it for an extended period of time yet. However, I like the way it goes on. Does not feel thick or cakey like some long-wearing lip colors. I like the brush on glossy top coat. ULTA’s Extreme Wear lip colors come in A LOT of colors that most drug store brands don’t. I love light/medium shimmery colors and ULTA has an abundance of them.

  • Devoted – Light metallic mauve
OPI NAIL LACQUER (from the web site) :
  • Significant Other Color – Shimmery pink lilac w/ glints of mint
  • Mother Road Rose – A glimmer of burnished rose
  • Nomad’s Dream – A dreamy shade of cool starlit mauve (looks warm, not cool to me)

ULTA SALON FORMULA NAIL LACQUER (my own personal observation):

  • Sweet Heart Pink – Medium hot pink w/ a slight warm cast (no shimmer)



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

NO STEALING ZONE. . .

NO STEALING ZONE. . .
I like to share, but please don't use my blog content (pictures, text, anything) without asking permission. Thank you!